Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dancing with a Baby in the Belly

I found a cd today entitled "Dancing with a Baby in the Belly". I made it when I was pregnant. It was a great mix of 60's and 70's cheesy, happy songs- like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da and Happy Together. I used to spend hours dancing in the shower to it, sure that the baby inside of me could hear. I wondered what she would look like, how she would sound, what kind of personality she would have. I haven't listened to that cd since I was pregnant. And then I found myself today, 2 1/2 yrs later, listening to these songs and dancing with the most amazing and beautiful child in my arms. I could have never imagined her... or our life as it is.

I had been so terrified when I was pregnant. I was so sure that I could never be a good mother. I had so long been lost to my own failures and short-comings that the indaquecy I felt at having to live up to something for the sake of someone else was overwhelming. I knew it would be difficult, immensely hard, challenging, but I had no idea that it could or would be happy as well. I hadn't even considered it. But here I am, over 2 yrs in, completely overwhelmed by the goodness of my life, of being a mother. We have a happy home, a life full of music and laughter and play and learning and sharing, of walks and meals and treats and snuggles. And I am not a perfect mother, by any means, but I am a good mother. I never knew I could possess or share this much love but I do.

My daughter is an amazing creature. I don't know that I can ever fully appreciate the capacity of her soul. She is bright and happy and observant and friendly. She remembers things and people and songs. She makes everyone she meets smile. She makes me smile. Even at 2, she is intuitive and compassionate. She feeds bugs and tries to hug squirrels. And she still keeps me up at night but I can only attribute that to her insatiable zeal to experience every single moment of life possible to its very fullest. She is nothing like the baby I had imagined when she was still growing in my belly. She is so much more, with her blonde curls and wide eyes and belly laugh that is so delicious it makes my heart hurt, with her certain voice and independent manner. She is joy. And though I was terrified for the first 6 months of her existence, which is how long it took for me to become convinced that she was real and she was here to stay, I realized that for the first time in my adult life I was and am truly and genuinely happy. I have experienced a love and contentment that I never thought I deserved. It has opened my heart and brought with it so much healing and goodness into my life.

I am nothing close to that uncertain and terrified girl who danced to the Beatles with a belly full of baby almost 3 yrs ago. That baby has changed my existence. I am now a mother, a woman, defined, secure, loved and loving. And though this is not what I imagined the good life to look like, this is the best life possible.

8 comments:

Vanessa said...

Beautiful Post. I enjoyed reading through your blog.

Gofergal said...

Hi Mari! I really enjoyed reading your blog and hearing about your story. I also thought that as a busy mom you could benefit from a great new option in the Asheville community designed to save time and avoid hassle when shopping.
I am excited to invite you to check out a better way to shop. We are mygofer (www.mygofer.com). Have you heard about us? (http://blogs.mygofer.com/2009/05/check-us-out-mygofer-is-now-open.html).

So, what is mygofer? We are a dream come true for busy people.

mygofer gives you shopping options that were not options before. Love to shop online? We have taken the wait out of it. You can order your stuff at work (we won’t tell anyone ;)) and swing by your local mygofer @ Kmart and pick it up on your way home! Go to mygofer.com and click the Shop & Pickup from Store link to find the location closest to you. You can also give us a call at 1-877-551-SHOP and place your order! Did I tell you we have everything you can possibly imagine? From toiletries to tools, from refreshments to refrigerators.


What else makes mygofer different?
We believe in letting you, the shopper, control our destiny. So, we started a supporting website called myvoice where you can share your opinions with our teamabout our products and services. And, yes, we read it every day!!!

So, join us today! Check out our shopping site at mygofer.com and our community site at myvoice.mygofer.com and let us know what you think. Have we hit a homerun? Have we gone mad?


We want to hear from you - our community counterparts.


We can't wait to get your two cents.

Rob Roy, General Manager, mygofer & my trusty sidekick--- Gofergal
RROY04@Searshc.com

Emily said...

I have a two year old son. Reading your post reminded me of the times I lay in bed with ear phones to my belly and the songs I used to sing to Silas before he was born. It is a wonderful, wild experience being a mom. Best of luck!

Michael DeAntonio said...

I've got a baby on the way and I hope I get to feel what you described. Everyone says it's an amazing thing, but I guess it's sort of intangible until you experience it.

Jessi said...

Gorgeous post. Gorgeous. Everything you said is so true. I can completely relate!!

Sarah! said...

Wow that was beautiful...i jus found out i was pregnant not too long ago! reading this made me think more about my new baby! being a mommy wow thank you!

Anonymous said...

Such sweet words! Especially for me with another little one due tomorrow! This is our 4th, though, and such a very different experience with life being so full. School age kids are busy people! I'm looking forward to bonding with this new little one who is so very anticipated.

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and found my eyes all teared up reading this post! Beautiful words and all so true...what a journey this mothering is.